Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day


The day before Memorial Day we went back to the cemetery for the first time since the day of Lincoln's funeral.  It was just as hard and emotional as we imagined it to be.  Although we took new pinwheels to put in the flower holder, the pinwheels from the service that day were still there.  That made me cry even harder.  Not that the emotions have lessened any, but for those few minutes it seemed we were living that day of the funeral all over again.  I could feel and remember every little detail from that day.  His name is still not up.  It can take up to 6 months, which is ridiculous.  A friend of mine wanted to visit the cemetery and I told her to just look for the pinwheels!

It seems so surreal that we now take family trips to the cemetery to visit our son's grave.  It just doesn't seem right that we now will have this "tradition" and our children will be raised doing this.  It's just not fair and seems so wrong.


The sun came out just as we got there, so that was nice.

I'm not sure I have explained that Lincoln is actually in a mausoleum at the cemetery and is not buried in the ground.  A mausoleum is a free-standing building, which holds caskets and can also be considered to be a type of a tomb (according to Wikipedia).  His casket is in with my grandpa's (my mom's Dad).  I wasn't so sure how I felt about this but when we went to look at different plots this just felt right to both Shane and I.

Below is a better picture of the mausoleum where Lincoln is.  These were taken on the day of the funeral.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my heart is with you... memorial day was such a tender day... Thinking of you and your precious little boy with so much love in my heart...

    ReplyDelete